2020 PIPAF in ISOLaTION (the Covid-19 edition)
This past June (2020), I had the honour in participating in PIPAF in ISOLaTION hosted by Parrsboro Creative. This is my video that I shot for it.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, most Plein Air events in their traditional form have been cancelled. In its place, Parrsboro Creative hosted PIPAF (Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival) in ISOLaTION, a virtual festival of Plein Air.
A collection of painting thoughts, techniques, and loves
St Croix River, Nova Scotia
My blog features things that I have been thinking about for what seems like a lifetime now.
As an artist and an oil painter, I like to think and talk about matters of the color palette, certain techniques that I have been developing, as well as what inspires me to paint particular landscapes and why I find myself returning to these places time and again to try and capture their essential qualities.
My paintings are an exploration of my connection to the landscape and an examination of the subtle veil that often separates us from a full immersion into our earthly experience.
Where experience empties out and preconceptions fall away and you are left with a very potent silence.
A brief history
- Studied oil painting under renowned Smithsonian artist Eleanor Kish
- Graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Mount Allison University in 1989
- Attended first annual Parrsboro Plein Air Festival, June 2017
- Invited to enter work for “100 Years of Community an event commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion.
- Solo Show – 10 days in October, Oct 6th-15th, 2017 – Parrsboro
- Group show – Art Off the Map – Oct 11th-Nov 3rd, 2017 – Gallery 1919, Halifax
- Group Show – Paint the Gardens 150th Anniversery – Sept 21st-Oct 5th, 2017, Teichert Gallery, Halifax
- Participated in “Paint the Hydrostone”, a Plein Air event, Halifax, September 2017
Paint Sea on Site – Lunenburg Art Society
A Plein Air event taking place in the beautiful town of Lunenburg.
Paint the Hydrostone
14 Bells Fine Art Gallery, Halifax
This Plein Air painting event is organized by 14 Bells Fine Art Gallery and will be in support of Brigadoon Village. For two days painters will be capturing scenes of this historic area in the North end of Halifax.
Studio Tour • Peggy’s Cove and Area
This open studio tour celebrates art and artists in the St. Margaret’s Bay area. During the three-day event, studios, group showings, and galleries are open between 10 am and 5 pm to welcome visitors and showcase the works of diverse talented artists.
Big & Little
14 Bells Fine Art Gallery, Halifax, NS
Oil Paintings from Kim Aerts & Eleni Manolakos
An exhibition and sale of oil paintings by Nova Scotia artists Kim Aerts and Eleni Manolakos. The show includes a few “sets”; paintings created from the same reference photo one BIG and one little. Work will be on display October 18th to November 1st. Artist reception October 26th.
Paint Peggy’s Cove
This year’s fun three-day event highlights the beauty of the shorelines, towns, fishing villages, and heritage of Peggy’s Cove. Artists from several provinces will be bringing brushes, oils, watercolours, pastels, pencils and setting up on the rocks, wharfs and park areas to create new works inspired by this unique Nova Scotian community.